Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Anyone know where I put my keys?

Searching. Ah, how fun. So what did I think of the four search engines we tried out this week?

Lexxe - It's all right. Doesn't seem to have any advantages over Google, so I'm not likely to remember the name and/or use it very often.

Hakia - I do like the feature of "credible" sites. Which is funny since I was searching using the term werewolf. Why? Don't know, just the first word that came to mind. So the credible sites were about the movie and some sort of gene comparison. This would be great for those trying to write a research paper as it seems to filter out the gunk that so plagues the internet. Overall though, I don't like the multiple column structure.

Quintura - Would work wonderfully for visual people. The little web map on the left hand side would help you find what you're looking for instantly. And, if you mis-step, you can always click back to where you started. This is definitely a plus for those who kind of know what they're looking for, but need a little more guidance.

Bing - Yeah, a short and catchy name. I can dig it. I like how there is a drop-down feature that guesses what you are typing. Some people would find it annoying, but I kind of liked being able to just type three letters and click down on what I wanted. And, if you do find it annoying, I noticed they had a great little note that said "turn off." How handy! I also like the fact that it brings up images (where appropriate) immediately, then gives you the links to find more. I would use this site again.

No comments: