Friday, May 1, 2009

Social Interests

Well, I have a MySpace page. I know, I know, it is SO last season, but I didn't join until my cousins forced me to sit down and put it up there. Now everyone is bugging me to join Facebook. Can't we just pick one program and stick with it?!! Probably not. Each new site brings new ideas, other ways to share, and new technology. So, eventually, I'll probably break down and make a Facebook page. Perhaps as a Learn 2.5 Adventurer...

So - can the library use these social networking sites as a means to communicate with people? Of course we can. In fact, we already are, as mentioned in the Learn 2.5 module. One day, we may very well host an online library, as it were, where information is available with a few mouse clicks. As it is now, most professors add a requirement for one of your sources on research papers to be not Internet based. You can search newspapers, journals, etc online - and some websites already offer full books. I, personally, as earlier stated, like the feel of holding a real book with binding. However, I don't begrudge those who'd rather read it on their little personal screens.

No comments: